Yucatan Peninsula is located in eastern Mexico. On it are the three states of Yucatan (north), Quintana Roo (west, along the Caribbean coast) and Campeche (south). Yucatan Peninsula, the Mayas were at home before Yucatan in the 16th Century was occupied by Spanish conquerors. A large part of the population is wholly or partially Mayan descendant. In many places, is still speaking the Mayan language.
The official language is Spanish . But the locals also speak some Maya. English is spoken almost everywhere along the coast. If you can say a few words in Spanish, which is often helpful. In terms of the bill. The locals are generally very tolerant of the visitors who do not speak Spanish fluently. Efforts to try to be very much appreciated.
It is useful to explore Yucatan by bus. Yucatan has a very good bus network, it is almost everywhere. In the long bus rides, one should always take plenty of warm clothes. Or as the Mexianer even a blanket. Many Mexican bus driver cool by our standards, the air is much too far down. Then a trip to several hours of torture.
You can find other objects there to visit:
- Cozumel (Cozumel Island) is an island in front of Playa del Carmen with beaches and small ruins. A diver’s paradise
- Isla Holbox
- Isla Mujeres
- Tulum small town with a Mayan ruin right on the Caribbean Sea
- Coba Mayan ruins of large, relatively little building made again
- Uxmal Mayan architecture, beautiful, one of the most beautiful ruins in the Yucatan
- Chichen Itza in the Yucatan beautiful Mayan architecture
- Puerto Morelos is a perfect alternative away from the crowds of Cancun and Playa del Carmen