The Ueno Park is a large, public park, in the Tokyo district of Taito is. The park includes the site of the former temple Kan’ei-ji , in close connection to the Tokugawa – Shoguns stood. They built the temple to the Edo Castle to the north-east hedge. The temple was built during the war Boshin destroyed. Ueno Park was founded in 1924 by a land donation from the Taishō – Tenno to the city of Tokyo built. The official name of the park is Ueno Onshi Koen, which literally Ueno Imperial Gift Park means.
Three museums, the Tokyo National Museum , the National Museum of Natural Science and the National Museum of Western Art , as well as a concert hall, a Tōshō-gū shrine , the Shinobazu pond with his Benzaiten shrine, the Gojo-Tenjinja with his Inari Fox statues in an artificial grotto and the Ueno Zoo make the park a popular excursion and recreation area. A statue of Saigo Takamori shows him walking his dog, reminiscent of the influential samurai and leader of the Satsuma Rebellion . The Ueno Park and its surroundings play an important role in Japanese poetry, among other things in the novel Gan (dt: The Wild Goose ) by Mori Ogai .