Salamanca is the capital of the province of Salamanca in the autonomous Spanish region of Castile-Leon. The city lies about 220 kilometers northwest of Madrid on the River Tormes. The surrounding area is rather scarce, and is livestock, rural exodus and the proximity to the Portuguese border marked.
The city has two cathedrals from the 12th and 16 Century, but which form a common complex. The tower of the “New Cathedral” has been strong since after the Lisbon earthquake cracks showed in him. Also at the cathedral you can see traces of the University: In the past it was customary, after successful completion of a doctoral Víctor paint a red “V” and his name to the Cathedral. In the opposite Bishop’s Palace was located during the Spanish Civil War temporarily the headquarters of Franco.
The Plaza Mayor, was held in the past include bullfights, is considered the most beautiful place in Spain. Philip V, the first Spanish king of the French house bourbon, it was in 1729 the inhabitants for their loyalty in the war of succession to the present. Also known is the Casa de las Conchas (House of Shells), an in Plateresco style erbauter City Palace, whose facade with more than 300 scallops from golden yellow sandstone is decorated, the symbol of the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. Even today, walking the Puente Romano use by the Romans built a bridge across the river.
Salamanca with its large student population has a wide range of restaurants, bars and discos. Unlike the Gran Via in the southern part of the city serves the area of Calle San Justo, near the Plaza Mayor with reggae, ska and punk a rather alternative crowd.