Riva del Garda is already populated in Roman times, place on the northern shore of Lake Garda and the only major town on the lake (16,170 inhabitants, as of 31 December 2010), for the Trentino heard. Riva was formerly part of Austria-Hungary, and was then also at Reiff Gartsee called. In the course of the Treaty of St. Germain it was after the First World war ceded to Italy. By the end of the war, Riva a fortress and was bombarded by the Italian artillery, which anrichtete considerable damage.
Many parts of the former fortifications are still intact and can be visited. The closest beach you can see the battery of San Nicolo at the marina and the beach battery Bella Vista in the extreme north-west corner of the lake directly to the Ponalepassstraße. Today Riva del Garda is a popular tourist place. Landmark is the slightly crooked Apponale, a 34 meter high clock tower from the year 1220, which rises above the harbor of Riva. This is located at Piazza 3 November and probably served as the keep of the first fort. From there one has a view over the harbor and city.
Another attraction is the Rocca di Riva, a city Burg, that in whole surrounded of water and 12th on the Goes back centuries. The later in the possession of the Scaliger castle located to its current appearance in the 16th and 17 Century. Today they houses the urban museum Museo Civico in which issued under other things paintings and archaeological finds are. Riva del Garda, on the east by the Monte Brione and the west by the Monte Rochetta (1575 m) is limited. Until 1936 the town was the terminus of Mori-Arco-Riva Bahn. The remaining station is now a restaurant.