Puerto de la Cruz, the sixth largest city in Tenerife, is the tourist center of the island’s north coast. Together with La Orotava, Los Realejos and other places is Puerto de la Cruz, a metropolitan area of about 140,000 inhabitants. Puerto de la Cruz is located west-southwest of the capital Santa Cruz de Tenerife and is with her through the Northern Motorway TF-5 connected. Neighboring communities of La Orotava in the east and south and Los Realejos in the West. The municipality covers an area of 8.84 square kilometers and lies at an average height of 9 meters above sea level in the Valle de la Orotava (Orotava Valley).
Facilities of tourist importance:
- Jardin Botanico
The Botanic Garden was planned as a tourist is not decoration but for centuries a magnet for foreign visitors. The ” Jardin de La Orotava aclimatación how the garden is still called, is not in Orotava, but on the southeastern outskirts of Puerto de la Cruz. It was in 1788 on behalf of King Charles III. by Alonso de Nava y Grimón VI. Marquis of Villanueva del Prado created. The location was chosen so that the garden on one side near the harbor was to keep the plants from overseas must not be transported far. On the other hand, it should lie at an altitude of about 100 m above sea level at one point to the sufficient water was available. After the garden was neglected over the years very much, he was after 1860 through the efforts of the Swiss head gardener Hermann venison to a garden with an international reputation. The Jardin Botanico is now under the leadership of the Canary Institute for Agricultural Research.
- Loro Parque
The animal park “Loro Parque” on the western outskirts of Puerto de la Cruz shows some 30,000 animal species, including gorillas, tigers, sharks, and a century-old tortoise. Highlights of the park next to the famous, eponymous collection of parrots, the largest dolphin show and also the largest penguin collection in the world. Here have included the dolphin shots at the beginning of the new movie “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” was filmed in 2005. Since 3 June 2006 on the grounds of a large Orca Basin (with show) with a 3,000-seater stadium.
- Plaza Charco
Meeting place and center of the city, especially among locals is the Plaza del Charco. The buildings on the west side of the square where restaurants and cafes are now housed in some cases date back to the 17th Century. Their facades, however, were always adapted to the style of the time. In the courtyards, one can see in the galleries, the former artistic design of the buildings that were built by merchants as a residential and commercial buildings. The currently known under the name of Puerto del Rincon was building in the 19th Century guest house in which both the future Emperor Maximilian of Mexico and the subsequent Russian Tsar Alexander III. stayed.
- Plaza de la Iglesia
The Plaza de la Iglesia is a place that was already provided for in the first city planning in 1603. On the east side was the end of the 17th Century church of Nuestra Señora de la Peña de Francia built. On the west side was until 1925 the Monastery of St. Catherine, which has the disentailment served different purposes. Today is a school on the property. The current design of the square dates from around 1900. In the middle of the square is a fountain located in the Art Nouveau, also built in 1900, in the shape of a swan, water gushing from its beak.
- Beach promenades
The wide, 1961, completed beach promenade Avenida Colón was modernized from 2002 to 2005 and runs from the Playa Martiánez east past many hotels, cafes, bars, shops and the sea water outdoor pools, the famous Lago on the ocean side to the Paseo de Santelmo, another beach promenade .