Podgorica is the capital of Montenegro. With the exception of the President, in Cetinje, resides here all the important institutions of the Republic of Podgorica have their headquarters has 143.718 inhabitants (2008), a university and several theaters. The Montenegrin Academy of Sciences and Arts has its headquarters here From 1946 to 1992 the city was called Titograd. The name means in German about Podgorica below the hill.
The Montenegrin capital, is located in a vast plain at the mouth of Zeta in the Morača, the latter Podgorica flows from north to south. By the Skadar Lake in the south it is about 15 kilometers from Podgorica. Podgorica has a temperate Mediterranean climate with hot dry summers and mild winters. The annual rainfall is about 1544 mm and the average temperature of 16.4° C.
Podgorica was first mentioned in 1326 as a small settlement and was long in the shadow of Scutari, Medun and the coastal towns of Bar and Budva, and later of Cetinje. It was mid-14th Century, the Serbian Empire of the Tsar Stefan Dusan, then to the principalities of Balšić (until 1421), Lazarević / Branković (1421-1439/1444-1452) and Crnojević (until 1466). Briefly, the city was under Venetian rule. From 1466 to Podgorica was part of the Ottoman Empire. The Ottomans built a great fortress here, to protect themselves against attacks by free Montenegrin tribes from the mountains. The Fortress became the strategic importance of Podgorica. At the Berlin Congress (1878) was awarded Podgorica Montenegro, whose capital was at that time Cetinje. The results of the Congress meant the end of four centuries of Ottoman rule.
Podgorica is the time since the country’s largest city and main commercial center. Here in 1904, the first bank in the country was founded. Beginning of the 20th Century the town had 13,000 inhabitants. Unlike the pure and orthodox Slavs dominated Montenegrin heartland lived in Cetinje to Podgorica at that time, many Muslim Slavs and Albanians.
In the First World War 1916-1918 Podgorica was under Austrian occupation. In 1918 the city of Montenegro Yugoslavia. In the Second World War was followed by the Italian occupation (1941 – 1943) the Germans (1943 – 1944). The city was during the war, about 70 air attacks exposed, they destroyed almost completely. In December 1944, the exemption was made by the Yugoslav partisans. In 1946, the city in honor of the Yugoslav Prime Minister Josip Broz Tito in Titograd renamed and simultaneously declared the capital of the Yugoslav republic of Montenegro. Since 2 April 1992 is called the city again Podgorica. Following the independence referendum in 2006 Podgorica became the capital of the new state of Montenegro.