Nouméa (including Noumea ) is the capital of the French overseas territory New Caledonia . Noumea was in 1854 on a highly articulated some 10 kilometers long peninsula at the southwestern end of the New Caledonian island under the name of Port-de-France was founded. The municipality has 97 579 inhabitants, including suburbs has large Nouméa ( agglomération du Grand Noumea ) 163 732 inhabitants (both in 2009).
The city is the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Nouméa . There is also the University of New Caledonia .In addition to the tourism is the main source of income for the city nickel processing . The main airport in New Caledonia – the international airport La Tontouta – located about 50 km from the city in Païta . The regional airport of Magenta Airport is located only 3 km northeast of the center of Noumea. In the port of Noumea 5.193 million tons were handled (2011). Of these, 3,217,588 tons of nickel ore accounted for.
A steel lighthouse , which is actually for Fort-de-France in Martinique was determined, was because the former name similarity accidentally delivered to Noumea. This lighthouse is still on the small island of Amedee in operation, about 20 km off the coast of Noumea. The “Phare Amedee” is a popular destination for tourists.