The Nijo Castle ( Japanese 二条城 ) is a Japanese castle and former residence of the shogun in Kyoto , the former capital of Japan . Nijo Castle which was named because of the road where it is located. The plant was in 1601 by Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu created. Parts of it burned in 1788 and 1791, but again, since the plant was built mainly of wood.
The castle is in 1994, along with other sites to UNESCO – World Heritage Site Historic Kyoto (Kyoto, Uji and Shige) . The castle consists of Honmaru and Ninomaru the Citadel. On 20 July 2011, the castle by a tropical cyclone damaged (in two places, the plaster broke away from the exterior wall).