Montana has been an American in the region of the Rocky Mountains . Often called Big Sky Country because of the intense blue of its skies, the Montana is the state of contrasts, especially because of its landscape ranging from flat plains of the East to the peaks of the Alpine chain of the Rocky Mountains to the west.
Montana is generally divided into two main regions: The Eastern and Western Montana. The tourism state divides Montana into 6 tourist areas:
- Glacier Country – To the northwest portions of Montana Including Glacier National Park and the cities of Missoula , Whitefish and Kalispell .
- Gold West Country – Southwest Montana, Including the cities of Butte and Helena .
- Russell Country – Named for famed western artist Charles M. Russell, north central Montana Including the cities of Great Falls and Lewistown.
- Yellowstone Country – South Central Montana, the gateway to Yellowstone National Park , Including the cities of Bozeman and Red Lodge.
- Missouri River Country – To the northeast Montana, Including Glasgow .
- Custer Country – To the southeast Montana, Including the cities of Billings , Miles City , Glendive and the Little Bighorn National Monument.
In the north, Montana borders the Canadian provinces of British Columbia , Alberta and Saskatchewan to the east lie the U.S. states of North Dakota and South Dakota , southern Wyoming and the southwestern and western Idaho . The West consists of Montana’s high, rugged mountains ( see Rocky Mountains ), while the east by wide lowlands ( see Great Plains is marked). With an estimated 101 876 inhabitants is Billings the largest city in Montana. In Montana, lies the Glacier National Park and a small part of Yellowstone National Park . The Missouri River , the Milk River , the Flathead River and the Yellowstone River are the four main rivers. The shortest river in the world, the Roe River flows also through Montana.
The state is divided into 56 individual counties (similar to the German counties ). The district with the largest population with more than 129,000 inhabitants, the Yellowstone County to the south of the state.