Lantau Island is the largest island of Hong Kong (22 ° 16 ’14 “N, 113 ° 57 ’10 “E). It is located opposite the mouth of the Pearl River with an area of 146.38 km ² and 45,000 inhabitants. Administratively, it belongs to the Islands District, and to a lesser extent in the northeastern district of Tsuen Wan . Until the 90s, the island was still very rural, because it was accessible only by boat. The construction of the international airport at Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong in 1998, a train and road connections was built. In 2005, also here the Hong Kong Disneyland opened.
During excavations in the Southwest they found traces of human life in the Neolithic and the Bronze Age . In 1276 the court fled the Song Dynasty after Guangdong before the invasion of the Mongols, being King Gong Tues left behind. As Cheung Chau , the island served as a base for pirates and smugglers .
Lantau and Tuen Mun were the first Europeans in the trading centers Perlflussgebiet, it was by Portuguese traders built into the 1510er years, however, already around 1517 due to an attack by Chinese troops abandoned (cf. Fernao Pires de Andrade ). A few years could be British traders settled here. In Mui Wo was to the 19th Century silver mined. Lantau is a mountainous island, with its mountain of Lantau Peak with the highest elevation of 934 m. The island is often referred to as “Hong Kong’s lungs” because she is still relatively natural and has above all a great forest.