Kinkaku-ji is the informal name of Rokuon-ji in Kyoto , Japan . It was originally built in 1397 as a village off the shogun Ashikaga Yoshimitsu , as part of its property called Kitayama. 1 His son turned the building into a temple Zen in the Rinzai sect . The temple was burned several times during the Onin War . It is part of the whole Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto (cities of Kyoto , Uji and Otsu ) declared a World Heritage Site by Unesco in the year 1994 .
The Golden Pavilion, or Kinkaku, is a three-story building located on the grounds of the temple. The two upper floors of the pavilion are covered with sheets of gold pure (also known as Gold leaf ). The first floor, called the House of Waters (Shinden-zukuri) in the imperial palace style, reminiscent of the classic Japanese decor modulated. It’s basically a big room surrounded by a railing. The second, called the Tower of Wind Waves (Buke-zukuri) is samurai style, indoors and a railing around the Bodhisattva Kannon it houses. The third, with windows, is Zen temple style, and is called Kukkyoo-choo, which houses a Buddha triad and 25 figurines Bodhisattvas .
The pavilion functions as a shariden , keeping the relics of Buddha . On the roof is located a fenghuang or “Chinese phoenix” golden. Yoshimitsu’s grandson used Kinkaku-ji as the inspiration for the Ginkaku-ji , who is also a Buddhist temple, I wanted the silver coating.
The Golden Pavilion has a magnificent Japanese garden immediately adjacent. The pond is located in front is called Kyōko-chi (Mirror of water). In the pond there are many islands and rocks that represent the Buddhist creation story.
In 1950 , the pavilion was burned down by a monk with his mentally impaired, a fictionalized version of this event is in the book of Yukio Mishima published in 1956 entitled The Golden Pavilion . The current structure was built in 1955 . Recently, it was found that the cover of Japanese lacquer was somewhat impaired and therefore applied a new coat of paint as well as a new coating on leaves of gold, the work was completed in 1987 . Also, it restored the building and the paintings of the same. In 2003 the roof was restored. The land on which sits the Golden Pavilion, stayed about the year 1220 a mansion owned by Saionji Kintsune.