The Ilha Grande is an island in the state of Rio de Janeiro in Brazil. Prison island of the military government in the 20th Century. Therefore uniquely preserved rainforest. The climate on the “Costa Verde” – Green Coast offers plenty of natural moisture to the green. Atlantic Rainforest (Mata Atlântica) dominated the vegetation. Monkeys and Jacarés (crocodiles) are difficult to see. Monkeys, however, make much noise and can be heard daily. Before the crocodile warning signs only.
Here are some information about acitivities that you can do in Ilha Grande:
- Diving: Various PADI dive shops offer day trips and beginners courses.
- Snorkeling: Snorkeling equipment can be hired in Abraão.
- Surfing: The beach of Lopes Mendes …
- Boat trips: From Abraão several boats depart daily to the various snorkeling beaches. With or without disco music decides the tourist.
- Museum: Museum of prison in Dois Rios can be reached after a 2-3 hour hike from Abraão. Here were the 20th Century political prisoners and felons incarcerated.
- Hiking The hike to the Pico do Papagaio (990 meters) takes you from first on the road to Abraão Dois Rios and then shade through the woods to panoramic summit. 3 hours each way to schedule. Water and pack a picnic.