Fernando de Noronha is an archipelago of 21 islands belonging to the State of Pernambuco , in Northeast of Brazil . It has little more than two thousand inhabitants. Discovered by Amerigo Vespucci (1454-1512), Italian merchant and cartographer in 1503, the archipelago is 4 degrees south of the equator, at about 200 miles off the coast of northeastern Brazil, opposite the city of Recife .
During its 500 year history, Fernando de Noronha was temporarily occupied by the Dutch (seventeenth century), French (eighteenth century) until finally Portugal finally took possession of the island from 1737. There is already the largest system of fortresses of the eighteenth century Brazil. For many years, due to its distance from the coast and the difficulty of access, the archipelago was used as a prison, and the ruins of that time can still be found on the larger islands.
Currently, the archipelago, which has the category of National Marine Park and World Natural Heritage by UNESCO , is one of the most important ecological sanctuaries on the planet, and without doubt the most beautiful marine park in Brazil. He is also a great example of sustainable tourism, with a nearly flawless interaction between man and nature. To help preserve this balance, tourism is restricted to only 420 visitors at a time, and your stay is highly controlled. Soon after his arrival, both the airport and the harbor, visitors have to pay a fee of Environmental Conservation which increases progressively according to the duration of the trip.
So much for that rate and the cost of travel, accommodation, food among others, the script is a bit more expensive compared to others offered in Brazil, but the idyllic setting and the experiences that provide the archipelago surely worth the price.