Citadelle Henri Christophe and Palais Sans Souciis located in Milot in the north of Haiti, the National Historical Park includes the ruins of the Palace of Sans Souci and the Citadelle la Ferrière. Built in the xix th century , the Palace of Sans-Souci is the work of Henri Christophe , one of the heroes of the War of Independence proclaimed king. He ordered the construction of the great palace in a style that would rival that of Versailles .
The Citadel La Ferriere , built at 900 m altitude, by Henri Christophe, is the largest fortress of the Caribbean . It was built after independence ( 1804 ) to defend the northern part of the island against a possible return of the French. 200,000 people participated in construction that lasted 14 years.
These buildings housed the royal residence but also the seat of government, barracks and even a hospital. They were in part destroyed by the earthquake of 1842 and never rebuilt.